When I was growing up, skipping breakfast was NOT an option in my house.
In fact, if I overslept (which I often did when I was a teenager), my mother would write me a note to excuse me for being late for school to ensure I had a full belly before I left the house.
The good news is that her insistence that I eat a balanced meal each morning has stuck with me, and since breakfast is important for boosting metabolism, keeping weight gain in check, and giving our brains the fuel it needs to perform at its best, I rarely (if ever) skip it.
The only problem is that, no matter how early I wake up, I am physically unable to make it out of the house on time these days.
Which brings me to the point of this post.
While I’m really good at ensuring my daughter’s blueberry waffles are waiting at the kitchen table when she rises each morning (it’s the only thing she’ll eat before 10 am), I often find myself scrambling to feed myself before we leave for preschool. And since I am not opposed to the idea of eating my breakfast in the comfort of our sedan (we won a free Sirius radio subscription and I love the 90s station!), I decided to hop on over to Pinterest to try and find some healthy (and easy!) breakfast-on-the-go ideas for busy moms.
And since we all know how much I like to share (even if I share a little TMI at times), I decided to put together a post with 10 of my favorite healthy breakfast-on-the-go ideas.
Your kids may not like all of these, but you sure will! I love number 5 and 8, and I’m trying number 10 tomorrow!
1. Skinny Chocolate Chip Muffins by Sally’s Baking Addiction (only 140 calories each!)
2. Overnight Oatmeal in a Jar – Berry Crumble Style by Sprinkled With Flour
3. Egg Muffins by Beach Babe (a healthy alternative to the fast food version!)
4. Oatmeal-on-the-Go Bars by Weelicious
5. No Sugar No Flour Banana Oat Muffins by Punki Noodle
6. Blueberry Banana Oatmeal Smoothie by SkinnyTaste.com
7. Power Muffins (Blueberry + Oatmeal + Yogurt) by Finger Prickin’ Good (less than 6 grams of fat!)
8. Banana Zucchini Muffins by Made From Pinterest
9. Egg and Veggie Muffins by Nutritionist in the Kitch
…and for busy moms who are trying to lose weight…
10. Green Weight Loss Smoothie by PositiveMed
Pssst. Did you know I’m a horrible cook, but that I spend a ridiculous amount of time pinning delicious recipes on Pinterest? It’s true! Check out my Chance of Food board below for some of my favorite recipes, which my husband is too scared for me to make!